Pipe Organ

The organ in this church is one of the finest and most important historic organs in Sydney. Built in 1882, it is the only organ known to have been constructed by Frederick Haydon Baker, a Sydney builder who acted on behalf of Alfred Hunter & Son of London.  After Broadway was widened and the church (including the gallery) was shortened in the 1940s, the organ was placed sideways. The instrument was given a full restoration by Pitchford & Garside in 1978. The organ was turned back around to its former position against the west wall in the gallery in February 2006 by Peter D. G. Jewkes and Co.  This same company installed a new Clarion stop in 2009 with financial assistance from a City of Sydney local community grant.


Information page from the Organ Music Society of Sydney


Rushworth, Graeme D. (1988). “Frederick Haydon Baker” in Historic organs of New South Wales: the instruments, their makers and players 1791–1940, pp. 118–21. Sydney, NSW: Hale & Iremonger.

Bock, Geoff (2006). “St Benedict’s Church, Broadway and its organ” in The Sydney organ journal 37/3 (Winter 2006), pp. 13-15.

Organ Concerts at St Benedict’s

There are currently no upcoming organ concerts. Please check this page again at a later date.